2ND PACA Partnership Platform Meeting: 11-13 October 2016, Kampala, Uganda
The African Union Commission hosted the 2nd PACA biennial Partnership Platform Meeting (PPM) on 11-13 October 2016, under the leadership of the PACA Steering Committee. The PPM 2016 was held at the Imperial Resort Beach Hotel in Entebbe, Uganda.
The theme of the PPM 2016 was “Tracking commitments, sustaining implementation for results and impact.” The meeting created a forum for the full array of stakeholders involved in the management of aflatoxins to share lessons and information, engage and deepen partnerships to create synergies, and align around current and future aflatoxin control efforts on the continent.
The 2nd PACA Partnership Platform Meeting (PPM) brought together approximately 270 stakeholders from across Africa and beyond, including Government Heads of States, Ministers and other senior government officials from African Union Member States, senior Regional Economic Communittee representatives, farmer organizations, consumer associations, large and small business sector representatives, civil society, academia and development partners.
The PPM included a Technical Opening Session and an Official Opening Session. The Official Opening was graced by H.E. Yoweri Kaguta Museveni, President of the Republic of Uganda and H.E. Rhoda Peace Tumusiime, Commissioner for Rural Economy and Agriculture of AUC, who both called for continued efforts towards addressing the aflatoxin menace. Speakers at the Technical Opening Session included Hon. Jesca Eriyo, Deputy Secretary General of East African Community, Hon. Amelia Kyambadde, Minister of Trade Industry and Cooperatives in Uganda and Hon. Ssempijja Vincent Bamulangaki, Cabinet Minister of Agriculture Animal Industry and Fisheries in Uganda. Please read the press releases of the PPM 2016: Official Opening Press Release ; Technical Opening Press Release.
The meeting achieved the following objectives:
- Tracked progress of implementing the specific actions identified at the 1st PPM.
- Assessed efforts of the last two years (2014-2016) of implementing PACA activities at continental, regional and national levels, in order to capture the attained successes and recorded challenges, for the development of a clear roadmap for the next two years of implementation.
- Celebrated the numerous programs and activities being implemented by partners in managing aflatoxin, particularly the active leadership of key agents of change and aflatoxin mitigation champions active on the continent.
- Endorsed planned approaches for implementing PACA Phase II, 2016-2019.
- Strengthened instruments and mechanisms for accountability, M&E and reporting for PACA stakeholders.
For a full description and meeting materials of the PACA PPM 2016, please review the following:
PPM 2016 Agenda (English and French) including descriptions of the following side events:
- Parliamentarians Engagement for Aflatoxin Control in Africa
- Strengthening Partnerships for Increased Impact of Non-State Actors in Aflatoxin Control
- CTA and AUC-PACA Roundtable on Engaging the Private Sector for Aflatoxin; Click here for the Summary Report and Key Recommendations
- Aflasafe ™ Innovative Biocontrol Solution for Aflatoxin Control
- PACA Country Planning Model: Aflatoxin Mitigation and Actions by African Countries
- PPM 2016 Market Place Concept Note, with a detailed description of the Market Place where participants showcased technologies and aflatoxin mitigation activities, and raised awareness on aflatoxin control in Africa. The Market Place was an opportunity for organizations, companies and others to share experiences and feasibility of products. The Market Place was also a platform for stakeholders to engage in information exchange and create partnerships.
- Update on the State of PACA 2016 and Update on the Africa Aflatoxin Information Management System (AfricaAIMS) and Aflatoxin Activities in Africa.
- Continental Initiatives supported by Nestle and US Department of Agriculture.
- Country Progress Reports: The Gambia, Malawi, Nigeria, Senegal, Tanzania, Uganda.
- PACA Phase II flyer describing the Scope and Approaches of PACA II, 2016 – 2019 (English; French).
For background information on the PPM 2016, please read the PACA PPM 2016 Brochure, available here, Additional information, including the meeting report, will be posted as it becomes available.
For further information, please send an inquiry to: firstname.lastname@example.org